The Mission of the Hazel Hawkins Hospital Foundation is:
- To provide financial resources to support the health care activities of the San Benito Health Care District/Hazel Hawkins Memorial Hospital.
- To create a broad range of charitable giving opportunities for individual and family donors, business and corporate entities and other philanthropic organizations.
- To insure success by initiating and maintaining active participation on the part of all Foundation Trustees.
The Hazel Hawkins Hospital Foundation, a California non-profit organization, was established in 1978 to generate financial resources that can support the care that is provided by the Hospital and the Health District. The Foundation Board of Trustees oversees the management of the Foundation’s assets and assures contributions are used appropriately.
Over the past 10 years hospitals and medical providers have been receiving less reimbursement than what it costs to provide these services. This reality creates a critical gap that must be filled in other ways.
Your Gifts at Work
The Foundation has secured and distributed over twelve million dollars in charitable gifts since its inception. The Foundation receives contributions from individuals, corporations, foundations and other donors that are used for facility improvements, programs, equipment purchases, scholarships and other critical needs.
The Foundation’s current campaign is “Mabie Makeover” – adding a little more sparkle to our 5-star Skilled Nursing Facilities.
Hazel Hawkins Hospital’s Mabie Northside is a 5-Star-Rated Skilled Nursing Facility* with an average daily census of 50 patients plus visitors. Many residents frequently enjoy getting out of their rooms to sit and visit in the lobby, but when this facility was built, the front was not designed to be a lobby.
The campaign funds will be used to refresh the building’s main entry and lobby area to create a more welcoming communal area for residents and visitors. Lobby improvements will include new wood plank flooring, painting, new furniture, resurface nurses’ station, new art and updated donor signs. The exterior will include an additional outdoor seating area with decomposed granite replacing some of the lawn, new furniture, paint, planters and updated light fixtures. This will be a great enhancement to this facility that is consistently at capacity, and is also located on a major thoroughfare in Hollister directly across from Hazel Hawkins Hospital.
*CMS Nursing Home Compare
Previous fundraising campaigns have contributed to the following accomplishments:
- Enhancing Our Outpatient Health Care Centers – This 2-year project raised funds to refurbish the Sunset Health Center and Annex with new flooring, paint, waiting room furniture and new or reupholstered exam tables. Improvements were also made to the Fourth Street and San Juan Bautista Health Centers, and the Surgery Center waiting room. The First Street Outpatient Center was expanded to add three new exam rooms to the second-floor. The Foundation covered half the cost of the construction and provided funding for the new furniture.
- Operation Renovation – This 3-year project raised funds to renovate the corridors, waiting area, 26 inpatient rooms and the lobby in the main hospital.
- The most advanced lifesaving equipment is available in the Emergency Department.
- The Hazel Hawkins Memorial Hospital Women’s Center opened in 2013 with 13 labor and delivery suites, newborn nursery, and a self-contained operating room.
- The state-of-the art Diagnostic Imaging Center located on the second floor of the Women’s Center opened in 2014. The Foundation funded the 3D-Breast Ultrasound equipment.
- San Benito County students have been awarded over $186,000 in scholarships.