PR CONTACT: Frankie Gallagher
Hazel Hawkins Memorial Hospital
Phone: (831) 636-2644
HAZEL HAWKINS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL EARNS LEVEL IV TRAUMA DESIGNATION
Hollister, Calif., DECEMBER 20, 2021, – Hazel Hawkins Memorial Hospital (HHMH) is pleased to announce that effective January 1, 2022, the hospital will be formally designated as a Level IV Trauma Center by San Benito County Emergency Medical Services.
Not only has Hazel Hawkins Memorial Hospital met or exceeded California Trauma Regulations outlined in the California Code of Regulations, Title 22, Chapter 7, but it is also fulfilling the current national American College of Surgeon standards related to the Level IV Trauma Designation. This designation represents a collaborative effort to enhance the care of seriously injured persons in San Benito County.
A Level IV Trauma Center has demonstrated an ability to provide advanced trauma life support (ATLS) prior to transfer of patients to a higher level trauma center. It provides evaluation, stabilization, and diagnostic capabilities for injured patients. Elements of Level IV Trauma Centers Include:
- Basic emergency department facilities to implement ATLS protocols and 24-hour laboratory coverage. Available trauma nurse(s) and physicians available upon patient arrival.
- May provide surgery and critical-care services if available.
- Has developed transfer agreements for patients requiring more comprehensive care at a Level I or Level II Trauma Center.
- Incorporates a comprehensive quality assessment program.
- Involved with prevention efforts and must have an active outreach program for its referring communities.
According to Michael Bogey, M.D., Chief of Emergency Medicine at HHMH, the benefits of becoming a Level IV trauma center are:
- Greater benefits to the community as we can treat more trauma patients here in our community.
- Better education – part of being a trauma center is educating the community on safety and how to avoid trauma.
- Better care for our patients as we have benchmarks that must be met in order to improve patient outcomes.
“Our team has worked diligently on the trauma program and has undergone extensive training over the past four years, elevating the care in our Emergency Department,” said Steve Hannah, HHMH CEO, “The Level 4 Trauma designation is an important next step in serving the healthcare needs of our growing community.”
About Hazel Hawkins Memorial Hospital
Hazel Hawkins Memorial Hospital is a full-service, public agency hospital delivering modern medicine and compassionate care to the growing San Benito County community. HHMH offers hundreds of health services across multiple locations, including top-tier specialists, a modern Emergency Department, and a state-of-the-art Women’s Center. To learn more about Hazel Hawkins Hospital, please visit www.hazelhawkins.com.